Ever is half a year old now! Seriously…six months since she entered our lives. That is just crazy to me. She’s big now. Her cute chubby legs getting longer by day and that smile is pretty much always present. I am absolutely loving the fact that she looks so much like me. Still a mixture of us both, but she does kind of resemble a little caricature of me. We are a family of foodies (even our dog is obsessed with food) and she is following her in parents footsteps. We’ve started solids and it’s the most fun process.
Along with starting solids, Ever is pretty much on track with her developmental milestones. She’s sitting up with very little support, can stand with support, and we have some clumsy crawling too. Breastfeeding is still going very well and I don’t see it stopping for at least another two months, but I could easily go on until she is a year old. No forcing her, I’m hoping we come to a natural halt together.
This month’s essentials:
1. Weaning supplies such as plastic spoons, storage containers, blender, plastic bowls, and sippy cup. We also got teething rusks, biscuits, and organic baby rice to mix in with her veggies and fruits. Ella’s baby food is organic and amazing if you don’t want to make it yourself. I really recommend Bumps to Babes for all this stuff. The brand isn’t important, but they have the hugest selection of baby food and supplies. You can’t go wrong.
2. High Chair. We went for Mamas & Papas for this one. We were tempted to go more budget as we didn’t know if we would start using a booster seat soon, but I’m so glad we got this one. It’s suitable for up to 4 years and Ever spends more than just her meal times there. We often put her in when she’s watching tv with us or just hanging out. She loves playing with her toys and snacking on finger foods off the tray.
3. Baby jail or play pen. She’s crawling and we have a little dog so we’ve had to contain her. She actually loves being on the ground so we’ve purchased a bunch of foamy floor tiles and a guard rail for her. I recommend Tao Bao for the biggest selection and affordability. The Skip Hop Playmat is tested for chemicals and suitable from newborn, and friends have told me yoga mats or purchasing those huge foamy pads from the gym works too.
4. Books. Ever loves colourful books. The more textures and colours the better. They are perfect for before bedtime and make her really interactive. She’s already turning the pages herself and gets excited when we bring them out.
5. Organic Coconut Oil and Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. Ever has had a few dry patches on her legs and face that wouldn’t go away. We used both coconut oil (make sure it’s pure and organic) and Cetaphil which have worked wonders. She also bathes in a bit of oatmeal which is really helping the dryness. Just wrap some quick cook oatmeal in a muslin cloth and swish it around the warm water pre-bath. Her skin is now softer than before and smells amazing.
And that’s it. I’ll try to update more on here as she’s changing so much lately. Keep a lookout for posts about the food we are feeding her and adventures in baby play dates.